Junior / Assistant gardener
Hours of work 08:00-17:00
Driving licence not essential but desirable
Location: Estate garden in Shenley, Hertfordshire
Pay: negotiable depending on experience.
Position: Permanent / Part-time could be arranged for the right candidate.
Accommodation: Not provided.
A great position has become available to work in the gardens of a private 800 acre estate which includes approximately 10 acres of gardens. This is an excellent opportunity to learn all aspects of the garden in a very varied, challenging role as well as being a great place to build your skills for a career in this industry.
The right candidate will be given the opportunity to obtain further qualifications and courses too – whilst also benefiting from the experience and knowledge of the current members of the team.
Under the guidance of the head gardener as part our small team, you will be working in all areas of the garden including, but not limited to:
- Large ornamental flower beds.
- Kitchen garden, fruit cage and espalier pear and apple orchard.
- Formal lawns and informal grassland.
- Perennial wildflower meadow.
- Glasshouses and polytunnels.
- Planting and hedge care.
- Large ponds both formal and informal with aquatic planting.
- Occasional work with other departments (stables and farm) so candidate must be ok working with animals.
- Use of a wide range of garden machinery.
The right candidate should:
- Be hardworking and keen to learn. This is by far the most important aspect.
- Have good interpersonal skills alongside the ability and desire to work independently when required.
- Take pride in your own work, pay attention to detail, and have enthusiasm to for ALL parts of the job.
- Have a desire to progress and work in this industry.
- Ideally be studying or have studied some form of horticultural or gardening qualification or be able to demonstrate a keen interest or passion for gardening.
- Or be working in garden maintenance and have a desire to broaden their knowledge and skills.
More about the job:
- Every member of the team at some point does every job. There are some jobs that you will be doing more frequently than other jobs:
e.g. weeding / grass cutting / hedge cutting.
- Each member of the team does strim and edging work on paths, trees and borders.
- We all leaf blow, clean and clear areas of grass, patio, paths, and artificial surfaces.
- There are dogs on site (as well as horses) and the garden team are responsible for all jobs that come with this responsibility.
- Machinery wise you will be using a ride on & pedestrian mowers, hedge cutters, strimmer, scarifier, aerator, rotavator, wood chipper, spreaders as well as a wide range of hand and power tools.
- We work throughout the gardening calendar year, in spring and summer there is lots of mowing and caring for our large areas of herbaceous flower beds. In autumn we do a lot of leaf blowing and collecting around all areas of the garden.
- It is a varied and fulfilling job and we do work in all weathers and seasons.
- Please be aware of the above points when applying for the role.
Please send a C.V and covering letter to email@example.com